Monday, January 2, 2017

Guest Post: The Definition of Networking

Bob Swetz hit the nail on the head! If you are struggling with your network marketing business take a look at this blog post. Bob clearly defines a network and what you should actually be doing instead of what you are being told to do. 


Dictionary.com defines Network Marketing like this…

network marketing; noun
“A marketing strategy in which sales representatives of a  
company recruit other salespeople and earn commissions on their own sales and on the sales made by their team.”

Unfortunately, many people confuse building a network with network marketing. Although these 2 things are similar and often times related, they are not the same. The sooner you realize this, they better off you (and your business) will be.

Dictionary.com defines a Network (in this context) like this…

network; noun
“An association of individuals having a common interest formed to provide mutual assistance, helpful information, or the  like: a network of recent college graduates.”

Until recently, I defined my network in the context of the definition of “network marketing.” Using this definition, my network was made up of my upline and downline in the particular program I was building. If someone I met did not fit into one of those 2 categories, it didn’t seem necessary or worthwhile to build a relationship with them. At a minimum, it seemed that someone should at least be a potential downline member or customer.
Over the last few months, I have come to understand that a “network” in the broader sense is much more than just a group of potential buyers for my products.

Let’s take a closer look at the definition of “network” to see if the relationships you are building measure up…
  1. An association of individuals having a common interest. With this in mind, you can expand your network from upline and downline members to anyone building an online income, all entrepreneurs, Christian business people, etc. Really, anyone with whom you have a common interest.
  2. Formed to provide mutual assistance, helpful information or the like. This is a good one. Now, you can expand your network to include anyone willing and able to provide assistance to help you meet your objectives, or even just share knowledge. Of course, it goes without saying that you will do the same for your network members.

I love looking at networking in this way. From this perspective building a network on a social platform such as Facebook becomes more fruitful and more fun.

I am part of a networking group on Facebook called the Networking Collective. When the group was formed, we all agreed not to “sell” one another. So, right from the start, this was a new concept for me, but I figured it would be a good way for me to expand my horizons. First of all, building relationships, without trying to sell people, is actually quite liberating. By removing the sales pressure from both the seller’s and buyer’s perspectives we were free to do something unique, actually, try to help one another.

To make a long story short, I have been with this group for about 2 months now and I can say without a doubt it has benefited me immensely. I have made new friends, built new relationships, and nearly doubled the overall size of my network. I have also learned so much from my fellow group members and, they are there to support me when I need to be picked up and to celebrate with me when I succeed.  We are all so pleased with our group that we decided to continue into the new year, even though the “trial period” of 30 days has long passed.

The next time you meet someone on social media, try to see them as a valuable part of your “network” and not just someone else to be sold. You will be amazed at the progress you make both personally and in your business.

To Your Success,
Bob Swetz
http://www.rjsathome.com/are-you-building-a-quality-network/

No comments:

Post a Comment